dinsdag 24 juli 2018

Morning magic

The last few days of my holiday I got up at 5 o'clock to be in the forest shortly after dawn. On some days there were fog banks when the night sky had been clear. But also with cloudy mornings I had the best time. It's always worth it to get up early. 

This is bulbous rush, growing near the fens on the heath. It has been very dry and warm the last few weeks and the fens are becoming smaller. You can walk to the parts that are normally under water and I love what I found there! All pictures in this post were taken with the Lensbaby Velvet 56 with apertures F1.6, 2.0 and 2.8 to see the glow.

While I was on the ground, in the wet moss, this little guy jumped in front of me. It sat in the perfect spot. These are the little presents you get for just being there. Today I heard them croak. It was the sweetest sound.

I discovered that the rush is going to flower. Then they are even more beautiful.

This little bee suddenly appeared as if it just woke up. It stayed on the leaf and if you look closely you can see its tongue. Either it was licking the leaf or it was sticking it out to me.

Had to give the sundew another go. I name this picture: Yang and Yin, or Happy and Dopey. Today I am Happy, often Dopey ;)

A grasshopper who also revealed himself by jumping away.

This morning I went to a different fen and the light there was so beautiful. The sun did not touch this part yet although it was coming closer. The light was soft and bright. I always shoot out of hand and make a lot of pictures because many are out of focus. A tripod would not have helped me anyway because I was standing close to the water on a thick layer of peat moss. It felt like a thick jumping mattress. This, to me, is a happy accident. I love the effect.

Same but different. A bubbly damselfly!

Damselfies are quite small and they live dangerously. This one thinks I am his big enemy, but does not see what's behind!

A little spider with an inviting web. Ready for breakfast. And you can be it!

After all this I went again to the wet peat moss. Wonderfully cool, because even though I was wearing a full rain suit, my feet were soaked. The light was already very bright and finding the balance was difficult. I like this one.

My plan was to sleep in tomorrow, but this morning was such a joy again that I might go one more time. After that it's back to work and it is going to be unusually hot!

Geen opmerkingen:

Een reactie posten